Richard qualified as a solicitor in 1984 and joined the major City and international law firm Norton Rose in 1986. He became a partner there in 1994 and in 2003 was appointed global head of the firm’s intellectual property and technology group. He joined the London office of leading US international law firm Morgan Lewis in 2004 as head of the firm’s European Technology Group. In 2008 Richard left Morgan Lewis to set up Barratt Legal.
Richard is a highly experienced commercial lawyer. He has been involved in many high profile corporate and commercial transactions for some of the world’s leading brands, ranging from M&A to large scale IT and business process outsourcing, and complex arrangements for the acquisition and marketing of sports media and sponsorship rights. Over the last 30 years he has developed a substantial commercial, intellectual property and technology practice. A large part of his work involves international joint and cooperative ventures for the development and exploitation of products and technology. He has advised corporations, government authorities and financial institutions on the procurement of IT systems and services, as well as distribution and supply arrangements in a variety of commercial and industrial sectors. He has expertise in relation to payment card and electronic payment schemes.
Education and Bar Admissions:
- King’s College, London 1981,LLB
- Solicitor,England & Wales
Honours & Affiliations:
- Member: The Hospital Club, London
- Listed in Chambers UK A Client’s Guide to the UK Legal profession (2008, 2009- 2012)
- Richard was listed in the “Best of the UK” category for Outsourcing. He received praise from clients for being someone who “plays a fabulous commercial role – he’s thoroughly reliable, works through the night with us and doesn’t miss deadlines”.
- Listed, Legal Experts (2008)
- Listed as Recognised, Outsourcing PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook 2008